An introduction to the support and services available at our university.
We know that the move into Higher Education is a big step, and the more informed you are, the more successful this transition will be. There are a number of supports available as you transition into ATU Sligo, which include:
- An Orientation Programme – prior to the start of university you will be invited by the Disability Service to attend an Autism Specific Orientation Programme which aims to support you in preparing for coming to university. Some of the topics covered include:
- Getting to know how to use ATU Sligo Computers, Education Platforms and the Library
- Getting to know College: A Tour of College Campus and the Library
- Getting to know the Disability Service staff and Student Union
- Getting to know self-directed learning in a College Environment
- Getting to know the support services in the college; Assistive Technology, Academic Writing, Math and Counselling Support
- A Needs Assessment Meeting with your Disability Officer – you will meet with your Disability Service team to explore any concerns you may have, and you will have the opportunity to identify reasonable accommodations that you may need here in ATU Sligo.
How could this affect me?
Getting used to life as a student can be a challenge for anyone, it is important to know that there is support, information and resources available if you need them. Talking to us about the support available, any questions or concerns you have, and visiting campus, might help you make a decision whether you want to study with us, and ensure you have the best possible university experience if you do.
What to do next?
Contact Disability Support to find out more about the support available at ATU Sligo
Where possible we would suggest you contact our Disability Advice Team as soon you have an offer of a place, even if you haven’t decided that you are definitely studying with us. This will give us plenty of time to talk about your support, give you an opportunity to look around our campus and ensure any support is in place for when you start.